The holidays are upon us and your friends and family will be coming to see you. As you decorate your home for the holidays, it is a good time to make some simple changes to your home to make sure your visitors have an enjoyable stay.
“We all look forward to welcoming our loved ones to our home,” said Dave Dusendang of Dave Dusendang Custom Homes. “Here are a few tips that may help you eliminate uncomfortable situations and ensure that family and friends will enjoy a comfortable visit and be able to move around your house without trouble this year.”
- Secure rugs and carpets. Secure area rugs with non-slip pads or double-sided carpet tape so that they are snug to the floor. Temporarily remove throw rugs, including bathroom mats to prevent guests from tripping on the edges.
- Test stair railings. Check that stair railings inside and out are tightly fastened. Make repairs where needed.
- Turn up the lights. Put night lights in bathrooms, the guest bedroom, hallways and perhaps in the kitchen. Make sure there is a lamp or light switch within reach of the guest bed so that your visitor can keep a light on until safely tucked in. Well-lit outdoor walkways and entrances are also key for coming or going when it is dark.
- Clear outdoor walkways. Rake leaves, salt for ice and shovel snow from sidewalks and driveways to prevent falls.
- Add non-slip treads or a mat to the shower. Be sure the shower your guest will use has a non-slip floor. To enhance traction, apply non-slip strips or a suction-attached non-slip mat.
- Offer the best seat. Choose the best seat for your guest’s comfort—not too high, not too low. A firm cushion can prevent them from sinking too low in to the seat, and arms can help a person easily get up and down.
- Declutter. Move objects or even furniture that a person usually has to maneuver around. Secure cords to the wall or baseboards with hooks to prevent tripping. Clear stair steps of any objects—shoes, books, and other personal items that tend to collect on the lower treads.
If you are considering larger home renovation projects or want to do more to make your home safe and comfortable for all ages and abilities, give us a call at (616) 874-7085.